Travels in the Americas
A collection of trip reports, with photos. Mostly parts of Canada, but with some United States and a little bit of Central America. Images and titles link to details. Presented in reverse chronological order.
July 2020 to… (These ones link to blog posts.)
- Yet another Ontario vacation – November 2021: Niagara-on-the-Lake, Kingsville (vaccine passport-ing our way back inside)
- Killarney Mountain Lodge – September 2021: Killarney (staying at a lodge while hiking the beautiful landscape)
- Traveling to all the hotspots – June 2021: Sudbury, Timmins, Orillia (most about seeing family again for the first time in months! Since a lot of stuff was still shut down)
- Second wave sojourn – October 2020: Ottawa, Kingston area (strategies to stay safe as we sneak in a trip just before everything shuts down again)
- Pandemic vacation in Quebec – August 2020: Gananoque, Quebec City, Montreal (quite a lovely trip with almost all-patio dining and some newly opened museums)
- Moving through the stages – July 2020: Orillia, Timmins, Sudbury, Muskoka (featuring the thrill of the first restaurant meals in months…)
Fall driving vacations
Mostly Ontario, but with a bit of New York state thrown in…
- Vacation in Ganonoque and area – October 6 to 11, 2019
- Niagara-on-the-Lake, Finger Lakes, and Prince Edward County – October 2015
- Timmins, Ottawa, and Finger Lakes – October 2013
- Northern Ontario – October 2 to 11, 2010
May 6, 2017
Let’s invite some people to dinner, then rent a hall to have a dance! How hard could it be?
October 11 to 19, 2014
The Mount Rainier and Olympic Park parts are mostly so fuzzy in memory, they might as well have happened to someone else. (And no, I wasn’t drunk.) Seattle I remember a little better. But still good I wrote it all down at the time!
October 8 to 16, 2011
Overture, curtain, lights. This is it, we hit the heights. Scaling dizzying mountains and descending the grandest of canyons; staying in the fanciest ever hotel rooms, and encountering the biggest rock group of all time (in a sense). In Vegas and area.
September 26 to October 4, 2009
Our first and, so far, only trip to California. We hiked in the heat in Yosemite, had too much wine in Napa and Sonoma, and took in the culture of San Francisco. Lovely state (at least back then).
Early June 2009
A better time of year to visit this area than on our first attempt. Quite a lovely getaway, with great weather and delicious food, despite my obsession with not overspending. Also notable: Our first time in PEC, and Gananoque did not impress us much.
May 8 to 12, 2008
Getting to Chicago an unusual way: by train.
March 20 to 23, 2008
During the year when it was hard for Jean to take a whole week off, so we did a number of long weekends not as far away. My second time in New York, and his first.
February 4 to 13, 2007
The first and, so far, only time we’ve been to Central America.
Also the first and, so far, only time we’ve travelled by bus tour.
September 2 to 9, 2006
A week in this picturesque part of Canada, between Quebec and Prince Edward Island.
Sea, sand, wind, and wildlife.
October 22 to 30, 2005
Our first trip to this region, with some other stops on the way.
Main lesson: Not the best time of year to go.
July 3 to 17, 2004
trains boats, and automobiles… Not the most cost-effective way to get to and around the East Coast of Canada, but did make for an interesting and varied trip. We visited Montreal, Nova Scotia, PEI, Iles-de-la-Madeleine, and Quebec City.